Parts Of Speech
We have now briefly studied the kinds or classes of words, called parts of speech, used by the English-speaking people to express their thoughts.
We have seen by our study thus far that there are eight parts of speech, or classes of words.
Tell the part of speech to which each word in the following sentences belongs:
1. The boys rested under the shadow of a spreading elm.
2. You are still young enough to improve.
3. A little twig sometimes bears a large apple.
4. He wrongs himself who seeks to wrong another.
5. The man who sows his field trusts in God.
6. A lovelier flower was never seen on earth.
7. Nonsense! Why will you talk so?
8. The wise are generally in the minority.
9. When I awoke, the sun was shining in at my window.
10. Love, honor, and obey your parents.
11. Ah! well-a-day! what evil looks Had I from old and young!