Questions And Exercises: Chapter VIII. The Mastery Of The Hyphen
§ 36. 1. What dictionary do you use? Does it show compound words (as well as syllables)? If so, how?
2. Use green house and green-house (or greenhouse) in a sentence.
3. Write an illustrative sentence for each of the two phrases.
4. Which of the three forms shall you use?
5. Illustrate the adjective use of simple fractions by a sentence.
6. Use one of the words in a sentence.
§ 37. 1. Illustrate by sentences the use of fold and score.
2. (a) Some offices always write can not. There is a difference in emphasis between cannot and can not. Illustrate by two sentences, (b) Illustrate each of the other words by a sentence.
3. (a) Illustrate by sentences a slight difference between forever and for ever, (b) Illustrate the difference between every one and the (as yet unwarranted) word everyone.
§ 38. 1. Illustrate the correct use by a sentence.
2. Write the phrase, followed by a comma and a vocative.
3. Write the phrase, followed by a comma and a vocative.
4. Illustrate the correct form by a sentence.
5. Examine your newspaper and report its usage as to these words.
6. Invent three humorous words to illustrate.
§39. (a) Get the victim (mentioned under §31) to pronounce the words. After each word respond: "Hyphen," or "Solid," or "Separate." This of course presupposes that you have conscientiously studied a long and perhaps tedious lesson. A hundred words a day for four or five days is perhaps enough.
(b) Select twenty-five words that you are particularly anxious to remember, and Bend in an illustrative sentence for each one.
§ 40. 1. Find and report an advertisement that breaks the rule.
2. Examine a dozen typewritten letters of your own, if you use a machine, and conscientiously report every word-division. If you write by hand, the direction still holds good if you have kept copies.
3. (a) What is the meaning of each of the following endings?
graph ose ulous aceous plex
(b) What is the meaning of the following Greek prefixes?
anthropo bio dyn ge mono homo phil soph
(c) What are our best helps in word-division?
4. (a) What is the difference in meaning between the word aged pronounced as one syllable, and the same word pronounced as two?
(b) Illustrate the verb learned and the adjective learned by a sentence.
5. Give other examples.
6. Have "the victim" hold the book and pronounce. Write the words from hearing them, and hand in without correction. It will help the instructor to help you.
7. Have the words pronounced, and write them as in 6.