Questions And Exercises: Chapter I. Definition Of Business English
§ 1. Give some business word (besides those given in the text) which is often used figuratively.
§ 2. 1. Give several technical words which have recently-become business terms. Take one or two from each of several sciences.
2. If you have access to a good recent dictionary (say Webster's New International, or the Twentieth Century Standard Dictionary) say about how many words - not words and phrases - are contained in the English language. Does this estimate include the various meanings of each word?
§ 3. 1. Are commercial words in the majority in the average business letter?
2. What does "English," as studied in college, chiefly mean?
3. Speak of words as a social heritage.
$ 4. 1. What may be said in answer to the contention that the art of writing cannot be taught?
2. What two general types of writer are mentioned?
3. Can a sharp line be drawn between Business English and Business?
§ 5. 1. Name several types of business ability.
2. How are we to prevent our study of Business English from being a matter of empty words?
3. Give any instance that you can, from your own observation, of an unwise scorn of elementary principles of English.